Sunday, May 19, 2019

FrSky Taranis X9D TX Clock Battery Replacement.

It's flying season again, so I took my FrSky Taranis X9D transmitter down off the shelf. I haven't used it much in the past 6 months, but I do keep its main battery charged/cycled. I bought it new July-2014.

I noticed the Time was very wrong, and the Date was 1970. I tried to set the correct Date-and-Time several times, but it kept reverting back to 1970 after a simple power-cycle.

Turn off Taranis and remove main NiMH battery.
Loosen 2 of the switches a bit (just the two on the case-seam)
Remove 6 screws on back
Carefully separate halves and lay flay on table (don't strain cables)
Replaced tiny CR1220 3-volt lithium coin-cell battery.
- The old one was dead (down to 0.5-volts).
- The battery socket is clean (no corrosion)
Re-assembled and test radio.
Set Time and Date and test it's retention after a power-cycle.
Be sure Time and Date survives the radio being turned off for 15 minutes.
Mine tests good again.

FrSky Taranis X9D - Inside PCB and CR1220 coin-cell battery.
Open in a new Window or Tab to fully Zoom-In

No comments:

Post a Comment

The stupid spammers have now forced me to approve each Comment before it appears (but I am usually pretty quick about it).